Malcolm & Marie: A Movie Blog

  Malcolm & Marie

A chic and clear representation of how a relationship of two problematic individuals can be a rollercoaster mess of emotions.


Disclaimer: This review is not technical but merely based on the emotions I felt while I am watching the movie and how I understood it after.

      Watching Malcolm & Marie is like watching Blue Valentines, 500 Days of Summer, and Revolutionary Road in the sense that it also portrayed real scenarios when a person is in a romantic and sexual relationship.

To be honest, it felt like I was watching my past experiences on my ex-lovers and it definitely seemed like I was also watching my current romantic relationship with someone I currently date. Enough of my personal experiences and let's go back to Malcolm & Marie.

After watching the movie, I assessed the respective characters, and one thing I realized is that they are problematic in their own way: Malcolm being needy and narcissistic probably because of living a privileged life since childhood (thanks to Marie who said how he grew up in a good family, all with a college education and are professionals) and Marie being insecure which probably is the result of her growing up not as privileged like Malcolm as she stated in one part of the movie when she said that she did not use the bathroom because she's not used into living in a noble place like Malcolm's house that was given by the production company he works for. Not to mention her pretty dark past which if I remember correctly includes drug abuse and self-hurt.

Now, imagine these two problematic individuals living together on the same roof, it will be a mess. Though I believe that their arguments are not only because Malcolm forgot to thank Marie in his speech but a lot more. There is a deeper meaning behind it like Malcolm constantly ignoring Marie's contribution to his work and overall daily life and Marie being jealous that she wasn't cast by Malcolm in the film.

Not everything about them is negative though. In most parts, they see each other as enemies trying to compete with each other by proving the other one wrong but what I love about their characters is that regardless of all their issues with one another that always result in an outburst, they did not physically hurt each other. I think it clearly showed the respect and love they have for each other even if they say harsh words that hurt one another.

At the end of the movie, they both watched the sunrise which symbolizes, for me, as them thinking about what their future as a couple will be. The ending according to some is an open ending because it did not say if they ended up together but I know they did. I wholeheartedly believe that their relationship will work. It is at the last part of the film after all the arguments where Malcolm is bowing his head and constantly looking at Marie. I know that kind of body movement. It is when a person realized s/he fucked up and finally regrets everything s/he did that hurt the feelings of his/her partner. I know Malcolm has contemplated how to work things out between him and Marie which brings us to what I consider as the resolution of the movie and probably the resolution of their past issues as a couple. It is when Malcolm genuinely said "sorry" and "thank you", finally acknowledging Marie's contribution to his life that has been unseen for so long according to Marie and Marie saying "you're welcome" which is also an acknowledgment for Malcolm's genuine words. I think that this last exchange of words in the film gives us a hint that their relationship will work. Communication is the key to creating a successful relationship and that is what happened in that scene, they resolved their problems by simple words of acknowledgment. There will still be fights, that's for sure. But just like their day in this film, they will find a way to comfort each other and resolve it.

It's not an open-ended movie after all, not on how I understood the film. Plus, I noticed how they need each other, in a sense that Malcolm needs Marie to bring comfort into his life as he is constantly seen as immature and childish (when he is punching the air, Marie picking up his dirty clothes, and making him Macaroni and Cheese) and Marie needing Malcolm to have this sense of fulfillment that when she is with him, she will felt validated by the society knowing her past as a drug addict (I noticed it when she wished Malcolm would have cast her as the star of the movie because they could've made the movie better and was probably thinking that as Malcolm received praise from the critics and the audience by his directorial debut, she will also be praised if she starred on it; that together they could've received admiration and not just Malcolm). These type of couple who needs each other for their satisfaction will not let go of each other whatever happens. Believe me, I've seen some and they are part of my circle.

Nevertheless, I liked it not only because it is relatable and realistic (realistic in the sense that they have petty arguments just like a real-life couple would do) but also because it was in black and white color and how they captured the scenes which added to the artistic touch of the movie. That's why I described it earlier as a chic representation of a relationship of two problematic individuals because the entire time, I felt like I was watching a fancy perfume commercial which is a good thing for me. I love to watch Chanel no. 5 commercials and my most favorite out of all of those ads is that of Marilyn Monroe's which is in black and white. There are not many movies in black and white today and I applaud the people behind this film who took the risk and make Malcolm & Marie a black and white one. Overall, I love it including the songs in some scenes and of course the way the actors portrayed their respective characters so effectively, particularly Zendaya who is acting so naturally in this film.




Comments

Popular Posts