The Others: A Movie Blog

 The Others 

A film that managed to shock the audience without a jumpscare.

Disclaimer: This review is not technical but merely based on the emotions I felt while I am watching the movie and how I understood it after.

      This film is one of the best horror-thriller from the year 2000 onwards in my opinion. It made me feel the creepy vibes throughout the movie through the lighting, the music, and the overall setting.
It made me question the sanity of Nicole's character. It made me question the characters' off vibes. Actually, almost throughout the movie I've had questions that was probably ignited by the off feeling I got from all the characters. Which build-up to the ultimate plot twist a horror-thriller film could offer.

That plot twist almost threw me on the floor. I was just so shocked but at the same time, I am relieved because it explained the confusion and all those off feeling vibes the characters are giving the entire time. 
But, the best thing this movie has given me is the empathy for "the others" aka spirits/ghosts. Growing up as a timid kid, I was easily scared of almost everything: darkness, unusual sounds, and even dreams. 

This movie gave me an idea of what if these ghosts were just confused; what if they were just scared too; what if they were now "others" in a world and place where they once lived. This thought immediately made me sympathetic to things I'm not even sure if real or not. Not to mention that the casts, especially Nicole Kidman gave justice to their respective roles.

That is why I consider this film as one of the best horror-thriller in the 2000s; it showed me ideas I did not even know existed. Particularly the plot twist that did not just completed the movie and answered my questions for the first parts of it but also immediately persuaded me into becoming compassionate to "the others".

Comments

Popular Posts